We provide physical examinations as required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). These are often referred to as DOT or CDL exams. Dr. Bowen is a Certified Medical Examiner and is knowledgable in the ever-changing rules and regulations to keep drivers on the road. Very few medical conditions are disqualifying to drive as long as you "jump through the appropriate hoops". Dr. Bowen can help you manage the "hoops" so you can keep on truckin'.
Some conditions/medications require clearance from the prescribing/treating physician. Click on the Clearance Letter or CMV Driver Medication Form links below to open generic forms you can provide to your doctor. If you take a medication or have a medical condition that you are unsure if you need clearance, please contact our office so we may advise you.
To help us complete your physical in a timely manner, please bring with you any of the following items that are applicable to your health history. If you do not have the required information, we will not be able to certify you right away and you will need to provide this information within 45 days .
1. A list of ALL of your medications including dosages and your doctors names and addresses. If you currently take any medications that may have adverse effects on driving, please provide a CMV Driver Medication Form* to each prescribing physician BEFORE coming to your examination. If you are unsure if you will need this, please contact our office with questions.
ii. Hearing Aide(s)
iii. Eye Evaluation Form* from treating physician for any eye diseases or conditions (not for glasses or contacts)
i. Eye Evaluation Form* from treating physician
ii. HbA1c (recent as of 6 months)
4. SLEEP APNEA
i. Printout from CPAP/BiPAP (last 90 days)
5. CARDIOVASCULAR (CAD, heart attack, MI, stent, bypass, etc.)
i. Clearance Letter* from cardiologist
ii. Cardiology records
iii. Copy of the most recent stress test and EKG
6. STROKE, SEIZURE, TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY, TIA
i. Clearance Letter* from neurologist outlining your medical history, current treatment, and current neurolgical and psychiatric state
ii. Neurology records
7. COUMADIN, WARFARIN
i. Copy of the most recent INR results
8. DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, BIPOLAR
i. Clearance Letter* from treating physician stating treatment is adequate/effective, safe, and condition is stable.
9. MEDICATIONS (Sedating, stimulants, narcotics)
i. CMV Driver Medication Form* completed by prescribing physician